Saturday, May 5, 2012

From the Sports Chest: Arkansas Upsets #1 Texas Button (1981)

“Whatever the Hogs do in the future, whatever may change their careers, May ’81 go down in history as the year they clobbered the steers.” – Chase

October 17, 1981 - I don’t know who “Chase” is but I love his quote and that this button captures the scoreboard with the goalposts already coming down (with 14 seconds still on the clock!) and the fact that this upset was so monumental that a button was made to celebrate it! My favorite story which I’ve retold several times (don’t tell me if it’s not true, I don’t want to know) is how Coach Lou Holtz handled the pregame locker room pep talk. Coach Holtz gathered the team together and said, looking out over his team of fighting Razorbacks, “Gentlemen, it’s not even going to be close. Let’s go!” Texas fumbled deep in their own territory on their very first play, the Hogs scored and the rout was on. Big victories over the hated Longhorns were rare. Victories over #1 Texas when the Hogs were unranked? Almost never. But this was Arkansas’ day. I’ve often remembered this game in recent years when the Hogs were facing a tough SEC opponent, hoping for another ’81 Texas game like outcome. Maybe on September 15, 2012 when Alabama comes calling?

No comments:

Post a Comment